Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Set the Scene for getting Lean!!

Well, its no secret from my first entry that I am a yo-yo dieter. My weight goes up, and then it goes down. I like to make a lot of excuses about being busy, or the lifestyle I am living because of where we are living but really, its just a "bunch of halabaloo". (Little bit of a Disney's Tarzan quote there!) Today, after a meeting with the designer of my new house (Set to be done late next month! Hooray!) I was driving to the gym as I passed a little town park that will be walking distance to my new home. I decided on a whim to pull right in. The place was bustling! The entire parking lot was full so I decided to join in the locals and see what this little town park was all about! It is basically a perfect 2-Mile trail around a beautiful reservoir, along with a Disc Golf Course, or a "Frolf Course" as my sister-in-law likes to call it :-).  Well I decided instead of the gym I was going to run around this place and explore. Two laps later, four miles down, and I was feeling great. I decided to go for a third lap and got to thinking this is why I love running. I love being outside when the weather is lovely, like it was today, and I can run for miles so long as where I am running has nice things to look at.

Running the Lakes at Notre Dame, IN

Back in college, I would start out the year healthy by running around the most beautiful campus in the country, and finish healthy when it was nice again by doing the same thing. Running was a treat and something I looked forward to. Once Winter came around and snow became an issue, it was into the gym and on the treadmill. That basically lasted a week before I was just bored with it and I let my Winter layer grow on my belly.

View of Mount Rainier

When I was temporarily living at Fort Lewis, Washington over the summer after college I was forced to do 10K Ruck Marches twice a week. This is basically a punishment worse than death in my book and at any other location this would be the case, but when the route allows beautiful views of Mount Rainier the entire time, it became more of a treat! And as the summer days grew smaller, so did my waist line. Fast forward to a not so scenic area of Oklahoma that next fall, followed by the worst Winter Ive ever experience in Missouri, I was back in my fat jeans in no time.

Beautiful Savannah, GA
Finally, I move somewhere more permanent (three years), and more lovely that any place I had lived before: Savannah, GA. To this day, this is my favorite city in the US. I was able to run circles around that city year round in the beautiful weather! It was also pretty convenient that I lived close to a neighborhood of mansions. I would get lost on those streets while I dreamed about my future as a filthy rich woman......... dream being the key word there.

Its no wonder that my most unhealthy time in my life was where I was most unhappy with where I lived. The Army sent us to Arizona last year and for six months. I was couped inside because of the dreadful heat and the lack of desire to run in the morbidly brown area in which we lived.

My New Place to Run!
Now Im back on the east coast and Im loving it. Today I found something that motivates me, that has motivated me for years, and I only just realized it today. Thank goodness for recognizing one of my weaknesses today and for living in a beautiful place again. Cheers to getting lean in a beautiful scene!

That my skinny for the day!
~C-Pizz

3 comments:

  1. Loved this...especially since I have lived in many of those places the exact same time. I also like how there is no mention of Iraq...just the terrible place called Arizona with morbidly brown surroundings lol. I feel the same way about Afghanistan, I rather be there than Missouri any day.

    I will agree to disagree with you on ruck marching, my personal favorite :)

    I laughed out load several time while reading this and could hear your voice and see you talking with your adorable gestures. Miss you! xoxo Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos!!! Makes me want to run around the lakes at ND so bad!

    ReplyDelete