Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

My Secret Weapon: Spaghetti Squash

Yesterday my husband and I signed up for a hot yoga class in the evening (a blog post on that, coming soon). I was told when I signed up, since this was my first time, that I shouldn't eat a meal for at least three hours leading up to the class. The class was at 7:00 PM, so to the slow cooker it was! I scavenged the kitchen for ingredients, for inspiration, as to what to make for dinner. Protein? Chicken - Check, Vegi? Spaghetti Squash - Check. Now to bring it all together into a meal worth eating.

Ingredients:

2 Chicken Breast
1 Large Spaghetti Squash
1 Jar Marinara Sauce of your choice
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Italian Seasoning
Tabasco Sauce
Shredded cheese of your choice

First take the Chicken breast and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Next place the chicken in the slow cooker and lightly coat with the Tabasco sauce. Pour enough marinara sauce to submerge the two breasts. Cover the cooker, turn to high for 4 hours.

After 4 hours, open the slow cooker, smell the goodness, then shred the chicken finely with two forks. Cover the chicken again, and let the shredded chicken soak up the juices on the warm setting. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Take the spaghetti squash and cut in half length wise. This will take some muscle. Scoop out the "guts" and seeds. Season with salt and pepper and place face down in a casserole dish. Poke a few holes in the skin of each half and put about a half inch of water in the casserole dish. Place in the oven for 40 minutes.

Once the squash is cooked, use some forks and shred the inside into "spaghetti". Once both halves are completely shredded, take the contents and put in a fresh casserole dish and spread out. Next take the shredded chicken and completely cover the spread out spaghetti squash. Add more marinara as needed. Lastly sprinkle the cheese of your choice over the sauce. If you are ready to eat, simply place the casserole back in the over for 10 minutes so that all the ingredients can cook together. If you are eating later, simply cover with tin foil and refrigerate. When ready to eat, just put back in a 350 degree over for 20 minutes.

Whats so great about this? No oil, almost no fat (unless you use fat free cheese) and you can customize it. You can eat a huge serving and eat very few calories while doing so! I only wish I thought to take a picture of it before we ate it all!

This meal can server 3-6 people. Last night it fed 3, but we are big eaters and we had enough for one person to have left overs for lunch. We all were obsessed with this meal and I have designed another one coming soon!

Let me know how you like it!

Thanks my Skinny for the day,
C- Pizzle

3 comments:

  1. Ha! What do you know!! I was actually going to make a dish with spaghetti squash tonight (a different one from paleoparents.com that I ran across randomly on pintrest) but still! I have chicken and marinara so why not try this one first! :) The other one is Spaghetti squash alla Carbonara....I'll let you know how that one goes too! Can't wait to try them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add red pepper flakes if you want some spice!

      Delete
    2. Ooo good call! I didn't have tabasco so I added two pepperocinis and a little of their juice :)

      Delete